Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Voice

I haven't discussed talent based reality programming yet. I have mostly focused on reality content that is centered around people leading their "real lives." Reality programming that is focused around competition typically is a more real, accurate portrayal of reality, with the exception of The Bachelor.

I stopped watching American Idol after season four. Honestly, it just got boring. It was the same thing, season after season. I haven't watched a singing competition since. I so happened to catch my roommates watching The Voice a couple of weeks ago. I was expecting the show to be a generic form of American Idol, but it surprised me. I really like the concept of the show and how the judges get to pick teams and how they then get to personally coach their team of aspiring singers.

First, there are the blind auditions, where Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine, and Cee Lo listen to the contestants with their backs turned to the singers so that their choice is solely based on their voice. If more than one judge wants the singer on their team, the contestant then gets the opportunity to pick who they want their mentor to be for the remainder of the competition.
????

Then there are the battle rounds. Each judge picks two of their group members to sing a song together. Then after the song is performed, the group's mentor must then make the decision about who should stay and who should be eliminated. This is done a number of times until the live round begins, which is on April 2nd.

I really like this show because of the level of personal interaction between the contestants and the judges/mentors. The judges get to know the singers more on a personal level, rather than just who they are on stage. The singers actually get to develop personal relationships with the hosts and get valuable information from people who have made it in the business (i.e., Kelly Clarkson, Jewel, Lionel Richie, etc.) The audience also gets more time to get to know the contestants and the JUDGES as well.

I have come to learn from this show that i CANNOT stand Christina Aguilera. Her arrogance is overwhelming. I'm pretty sure you haven't had a hit song since "Dirrty"and that's because that was your "no clothes" phase. Believe me no one wants you to take your clothes off now. She needs to come down from cloud 9 ASAP.....and also stop wearing hats, especially this one:


Other than X-Tina, GREAT SHOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment